Updated: Jan 23
Comfort food without the guilt! Move over shepherd's pie, there is a new boss in town! You can use ground grass fed beef, organic turkey, chicken or even a blend of meats (veal, pork and beef is a popular Italian combo).
To make this recipe AIP friendly, replace the chilli pepper and cumin with 1tsp dried thyme and 1/2tsp dried sage.
Preheat oven to 350°F
Savoury bottom layer:
1.25 lbs ground meat (free range preferable)
½ medium onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 medium zucchini, shredded (not peeled)
1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
1 - 1½ tsp Himalayan pink salt or Celtic grey sea salt
1 tsp chilii powder
½ tsp cumin
Mashed cauliflower topping:
2 small (or 1 large) cauliflower heads
5-6 large roasted garlic cloves*
½ - 1 tsp salt
Optional top layer:
½ cup shredded or crumbled organic, whole milk cheese (your choice!)
How to prepare bottom layer:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion + garlic until tender. Add the carrot + zucchini, cook until they start to soften.
2. Add the ground meat, salt, and spices. Cook until the meat is browned, and very little moisture remains.
How to prepare cauliflower:
3. Chop the cauliflower heads into small chunks, and steam until they soften - when a fork can easily pierce.
4. Add the steamed cauliflower, roasted garlic and salt to a food processor. On low setting, puree until smooth. It may be necessary to use the tamper if you have one.
Assemble the pie:
5. To assemble your Positively Paleo Pie, distribute the meat mixture evenly in the bottom of an 8-inch baking dish. Spread cauliflower mixture over the top, and bake for 25 minutes.
If you're adding the optional cheese top layer, sprinkle the cheese on top after you bake it, and then broil it until the cheese turns slightly brown (~3 minutes more in the oven).
*Roasted garlic cloves - done ahead of time.
Using a sharp knife, cut ¼ inch from the top of of a whole garlic bulb to expose the individual cloves. Place bulb (unpeeled) on top of a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top of the bulb, just to moisten. Wrap the bulb with foil and bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed. Once cooled, the whole cloves should push out easily when pressed from the bottom.
Extra roasted garlic can be used on its own as a spread on gluten or grain free bread, crackers, sandwiches, crisps or veggies (and yes, roasting the garlic really does make a difference in the flavour - magic!).
#paleo #paleorecipes #aippaleo #paleoaip #autoimmunedisease #autoimmunerecipes #spoonie #spoonierecipe #comfortfood #healthycomfortfood #shepherdspie #healthyshepherdspie #cauliflowermash #mashedcauliflower #grassfedbeef