Not Your Typical Salmon SaladMar 11, 2023
You know what the best part of my job is? Posting what I eat for lunch. How is this for a fast and easy recipe that supports joints, skin, digestion and brain? It's perfectly paired with its macros (protein : fat : carbs) and includes some fermented foods for good gut health.
You can prep the salad in advance, separate into two bowls and have lunch ready to go for two days (or at least, that's the way I roll).
PRO TIP: Never make just one meal. Always plan your protein and vegetables for easy, delicious, nutrient dense meals like these. It's part of my Reality-Based Meal Planning approach I use in The Integrative Autoimmune Network.
This particular recipe is high in Omega 3s, zinc, selenium, along with powerful antioxidants found in the berries and herbs. Fennel and cucumber are great sources of Vitamin K2 and fuel digestive health, and remember ... starch is your friend! Starch is involved with melatonin production for a good night's sleep, and critical to thyroid and nervous system health. If you don't like sweet potato, switch it for something you like and have on hand.
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup fresh herbs (dill, cilantro or parsley)
- 2 cups sweet potato, no skin, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 8 oz salmon filet, or 2 cans of salmon, mashed
- 2 - 4 Tbsp sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Drizzle of salad dressing - see below
- Cut up sweet potato into roughly 1/2" cubes and roast on a cookie sheet at 350F for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Place greens into each of 2 bowls.
- Evenly divide fennel, cucumber, herbs, sweet potato, salmon and sauerkraut between both bowls.
- Drizzle with dressing.
If you're stuck for ideas on dressing, here is what I use. I make a big batch once a week, but simply mixing the following in a small mason jar.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional for those that like sweet)